Mickael Jahan’s Qualifications
- MBA (Nationale Institute of Bakery & Patisserie) INBP
- Foundation Certificate in HACCP Principles Level 3 (725490170706)
- CHSS training certificate (Safety for Senior Managers Course) (26004)
- Food Safety Foundation at Campden BRI
- Application & Product Handling with COSHH Awareness
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate (2423119)
- Foundation Certificate In Food Hygiene (4622521)
- Preparation for the Best Hand Craft Baker competition (INBP)
- Speciality & Aromatic Bread Master Class (INBP)
- Special liquid sourdough Master Class (INBP)
- Chocolate Master Class (Barry Callebaut)
- Basic Security in the Field II (United Nations Department of Safety and Security 2333692)
- BSAFE (United Nations Department of Safety and Security 2707271)
- Information Security Awareness (United Nations of Safety and Security 2818455 – 2818315 – 2818072)
- Excel from Beginner to Advance (5256-a74a-4475)
Mickael Jahan’s Biography
My career as a baker began when I was just under 14 years old in my home village in Vendee, France. When given the choice by my parents whether to work on the family oyster farm or in the warm sweet smelling environment of the village bakery, the decision was easy.
I was in love at the time with the pain au chocolat, so what better place to be. However, life in the bakery was not what I had imagined. My apprenticeship was extremely tough with a very difficult “teacher” but I never gave up and carried on learning. I learnt a lot (not only bakery skills but about life) and the hard work was rewarded by being selected to participate at the Best Bakery Apprentice for the Vendee region (France). Since then to the present day, I have sought to be a master of the bakery.
I am driven by the satisfaction and delight I get in seeing people’s reactions when they eat my products.
My ambition and passion has taken me to various positions of responsibility and honor. Significant goal posts include when I was asked to bake bread for the Queen of England and make desserts for the Oman’s Sultan at his personal Palace. My personal success is through continuous self-education, and even today not a day goes by without me trying / inventing new recipes and concepts.
In 1998 on my travels I landed in the UK. Within 3 days I had found work at Sally Clarke’s (Ladbroke Grove) bakery. This challenge was a big one as I couldn’t speak any English at the time. Luckily my knowledge was much appreciated and after a few months I was training the employees in the different areas of the bakery going from mixing, hand shaping, baking and the making of morning goods.
Early 2000 I decided to go back to France to pass my Masters in Bakery products (MBA) at the well-known Bakery Institute in France, the INBP. Here I succeeded and got an offer to work for the youngest talented baker in France, Remi Coste, (Un Des Meilleurs Ouvrier De France, MOF 2000). I believe the translation would be: One Of The Best Hand Craft Baker Year 2000. Shortly after I worked for Francois Pozzoli (MOF based in Lyon) as Bakery Manager. These 2 excellent opportunities changed my path, the way I worked and managed my career, giving me the opportunity to realise my potential.
In 2002 I came back to London and used my new found knowledge in a role at Maison Blanc,(Park Royal) as Bakery Manager as well as New Product Development. Within my first 3 months I launched a new range, the first time Maison Blanc had done this in 10 years! Sales rose 50%.
After 3 years I moved to Paul’s Bakery UK as Factory Manager and Head Trainer for fortnightly bakery classes held at the Covent Garden store. The whole bakery site was under my responsibility; I put the HACCP system in place, employing / dismissing, training etc. I joined when Paul Bakery had only 4 shops around London and managed to rotate the organisation around the clock to allow the bakery to supply 22 shops and many retail businesses within 2 years of hard work.
I then decided to go back to product development and worked for two large manufacturers. Firstly, at Grain D’Or Bakery as NPD Senior Manager, and then with Maple Leaf Bakery (UK) as Concept Master Baker. Here I gained a new found appreciation for the attention to detail required when working to briefs as set by major retailers. Successes here included re-launching and launching new products thereby securing contracts with the likes of Marks and Spencers and Waitrose…. to name but a few.
Since 2013, I now run my own business providing expertise and services for the Baking Industry as well a running short courses and looking after cohorts of students at the famous School Of Artisan Food for professionals and non-professionals wanting to explore and learn the joy of making yummy products using my easy steps program.
Alongside running my own consulting business, I work with the EBRD (European Bank for Reconstruction and Development) as an SIA (Senior Industry Advisor) on short & medium term contracts around the world.
My passion for the industry as led me to take on an additional journey since June 2017 as Head of Innovation for Aryzta. Here in my new role I provide the business with innovation / vision to lead the European market growth within all categories that Aryzta covers.
Host for the 7th World of Bread Contest 2019 organised by “Les Ambassadeurs Du Pain”
Jury member at the Belgian Championship Aspirant Baker 2018, National selection for the 7th Mondial du Pain organised by “Les Ambassadeurs du Pain”.
Host for the 6th World of Bread Contest 2017 organised by “Les Ambassadeurs Du Pain”
Jury member at the Belgian Championship Aspirant Baker 2017
Jury member at the Sigep International Bakery Cup 2017
Jury member in Taiwan “National Selection” for the World Of Bread Contest taking place in 2017
Jury member at the “Best of Mondial du Pain” Competition 2016 in Taiwan
- Jury member for the World Young Bakery Hopeful Competition 2016
- Team Captain for the Great Britain Bakery team at the Sigep International Bakery Cup 2015 “Bread in the city”
- Winner of the California Raisins Competition 2013 (Speciality bread category)
- Jury member for the 4th and 5th World Of Bread Contest 2013 & 2015 organised by “Les Ambassadeurs Du Pain”
- Represented United Kingdom for the Bakery World Cup selection (final in 2012) in the Viennese category.
- Team Captain and Viennese pastry representative for the Great Britain Bakery Team, Louis Lesaffre Cup (2010 to 2012).
- Best Quiche Lorraine in the UK, Richmond Club, year 2012
- Best Viennese Pastry in the UK, Louis Lesaffres Cup, National Selection year 2010